Having recently dug through the freezer and pantry–I know that there are some hidden gems, and embarrassing oversights (why do I have 3 open bags of all purpose flour?) to be uncovered. This Stewardship Monday, as a part of our spring cleaning month, it is time to tackle one of the hardest parts of cleaning up: the pantry challenge.
The Pantry Challenge: cook meals using ingredients from the pantry and freezer, while supplementing sparingly with fresh products bought at the grocery store.
- saving money
- creating space
- identifying waste (shop better in the future!)
- spark creativity
- learn new recipes
- (if you totally empty the freezer) defrost to run more efficiently
How to approach the challenge:
- Set a goal: 2 weeks? 1 month?
- Set a budget: “I will only spend $X to supplement meals this week.”
- Inventory: What will I be working with?
- Research: There are many sights with Pantry Challenge recipes.
- Go for it!